Saturday, May 10, 2008

Returning...

So, I am returning to Senegal, West Africa. For any of you who may be new to this story, here's a quick recap:

As I reflect upon last year; getting on a plane all alone, heading to a seemingly random African Country, knowing little about what I would do, where I would live, or who I would meet, I have no explanation as to how I mustered up the courage to do it or how I convinced my parents to allow it other than His hand. I travel with a company that puts together a team of college students from all around the country to live amongst the Lebou of Senegal, West Africa. Our primary goal, as I perceive it, is to build relationships in which we can show His love. As a secondary purpose, we all have a job of our own, either ESL (teaching English), fishing, sports, scuba diving, or medical (that one's me). We live in traditional homes with Senegalese families. We eat with them, work with them, play with them, talk with them, basically get the complete cultural experience.

After last summer, despite extreme sadness, I thought I would never return. God obviously had different plans. On May 17, I am returning. I don't know for sure if I will live with my same family from last year, or somewhere else. This year, a good friend of mine is coming with me, teaching ESL (check out B's blog at http://www.recklesslyfaithful.blogspot.com/). We will be there a little over 2 months (Returning July 19).

Basically this blog is to keep everyone updated on what I am doing and, more importantly, how you can speak for us while we are there. If I have the same access I did last year, you can expect posts about once a week (usually around the same time each week), possibly more every now and then, and hopefully with pictures this time, so check back!

As I prepare to leave next week, some requests are:
1. For Him to provide a clear mind and peaceful heart to all those preparing to leave for Senegal within the next week (there are 23 of us all together)
2. For safe travel, as summer Ms begin leaving tomorrow through next Monday
3. For the relationships built last summer, that the 4 of us that are returning would be ready to grow and continue those friendships.
4. For the Ms in Senegal as they put together all their last minute preparations for us (and in Africa, most preparations must be done last minute!)
5. For the Lebou of Senegal, that their hearts, ears, and eyes would be open this summer to see the truth through our actions, hear Him in His still quiet voice, and feel Him calling in their hearts.

Here are some pics from my experience last year so you can have some faces to pray for, and some ideas of what I'm doing.

For those of you who may not know where Senegal is
(I didn't before I went!)

Working in the clinic in my village

Some of the ladies from my family (and baby sister)

Doing small medical clinics with the talibe
(these are "students". basically little boys who are given to the meeting here at a young age to be taught the scriptures. However they end up sleeping in the dirt, begging for food and money on the streets)


Some of the Kids from my family

2 comments:

  1. All my Love, Hugs & Kisses I send with you, my beautiful Daughter!
    God's hands around you while you are away.
    Momma

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you are doing great!! I miss you already. We are praying for you = ) Can't wait to read the updates.

    ReplyDelete