Thursday, July 10, 2008

The Twelve days of Senegal

Sung, of course, to the tune of the twelve days of Christmas...

On my first day in Senegal the Lebou gave to me
A big bowl of red cheeb jen*
On my second day in Senegal the Lebou gave to me
Two fields of trash
On my third day in Senegal the Lebou gave to me
Three proposed marriages
On my fourth day in Senegal the Lebou gave to me
Four days without water
On my fith day in Senegal the Lebou gave to me
Five calls to speaking
On my sixth day in Senegal the Lebou gave to me
Six in one taxi
On my seventh day in Senegal the Lebou gave to me
Seven hot fatayas**
On my eighth day in Senegal the Lebou gave to me
Eight power outages
On my nineth day in Senegal the Lebou gave to me
Nine screaming children
On my tenth day in Senegal the Lebou gave to me
Ten roaches crawling
On my eleventh day in Senegal the Lebou gave to me
Eleven goats a bleeting
On my twelfth day in Senegal the Lebou gave to me
Twelve mosquito bites ***


*Cheeb jen is my favorite senegalses dish, rice cooked with a tomato paste sause with delisiously flavored veggies and fish in the middle, eaten, of course, with your hands from a common bowl.
**fatayas are like fried dough with seasoned fish in the middle...so good...

*** This, of course, is all said out of absolute love for the country, the people, and what I do hear, but always still appreciating the little things that make Africa, Africa!

No comments:

Post a Comment