Monday, September 13, 2010

Kids...

So, I'm a critical care nurse, right? For kids. Sometimes I wonder what I was thinking...

You hear all the time about how resilient kids are, how positive they stay when they're sick or hurt...and it's true. I find that kids are kids, they play, they smile, they laugh, they, more often than not, make the best out of what they're given. But what has been striking me this week especially is the parents.

How in the world do these parents do it? How do they hang out in the same room all day or all week or all month waiting for someone to come tell them what's hurting and possibly killing their child? How do they stand at the foot of the bed while their child stops breathing, relying on some nurse they just met to save them? How do they keep up with the tests and procedures and the scans and the craziness some days put them through? How do they take it?

It's given new meaning to the word "hurting". Physically, emotionally, spiritually. And it's given new depth to the act of caring.


And sometimes it hurts. Sometimes it's exhausting. Sometimes it's invigorating. And sometimes it's heart-wrenching. Sometimes I feel completely lost. Sometimes I wonder if it makes any difference. Sometimes I know it makes all the difference. And I wouldn't trade a minute of it...well maybe one or two...every now and then...

Kids are resilient. Parents can be inspiring. It's all humbling, and it's so totally worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment