Saturday, April 4, 2009

Pockets

I've always been amazed by what a nurse can pull out of their pockets. They've always seemed to have exactly what they need, not just available, but physically on them! (and you'd never expect it, they don't have bags or bulging pockets or anything...) I've never known how they know what they'll need that day, but, as time goes by, my pockets are starting to bear the load...I've been working on pediatric special care units and in the ER this week, and I've been quite surprised by the amount of different thing's my full pockets have been prepared for.

So, I thought I'd give a look at just what is in all those pockets nurses have....well, what's in a nursing student's pockets at least...



And the daily list includes:
- stethoscope
- bandage scissors
- clamps
- alcohol wipes
- sharpie (for labeling bandages)
- pen light
- pad of paper
- pens (black of course, and at least 1 backup)
- cell phone
- watch
- medical tape
- calculator (for calculating med dosages)
- ID badges
- Vick's vapor rub (lol, to put on your nose for smelly rooms ;-)
- tic tacks (same reason)
- chapstick
- extra gloves
- RN notes (everything you need to know about labs, tests, meds, vitals, etc...)
- hand sanitizer
- extra hair tie
- and (not pictured) things you may pick up in the hospital depending what floor you're on like stickers, bandaids, syringes, needles, saline, thermometer, diapers, and the list goes on and on...)

and see, we don't even look like we're toting that much! (this is from lab last semester)

Nurses and their pockets; we're ready for anything! Ok, they're ready for anything and I will be...give it a year or two ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment