Saturday, May 11, 2013

Malawi

 So I'm going to Malawi... questions?


Where is Malawi?

When/for how long are you going?
I'm leaving the second week in July and I'll be there for 2 weeks

Who are you going with?
A team of 17; 3 guys and 14 girls (I know, poor guys! lol) we range from high school aged to married with grown children. But, one of the many exciting things about this trip is that my long time best friend (we met when I was just 6!) is going with me!

This is me and L
L is such an awesome friend and I'm so excited she'll be on the trip with me! This will be her first trip to Africa and I'm so excited to share this time with her!!

What are you doing there?

We will be working with special needs children, demonstrating true love to them in a way they can understand. We will also be working with the families and caretakers of the children to impact the way they and their communities interact with these special children, hoping to show them the true blessings found in these kids.

The usual: Is Malawi safe?
 Malawi is probably the safest out of all the places in Africa I have been to :-) It has an open and welcoming culture and is a democracy. However, it is one of the most densely populated and poorest countries in Africa. It has been ravaged by the HIV/AIDS epidemic and has staggering numbers of orphans and broken families as a result.

Can I help/get involved?
YES!!! 

1. Getting to the more southern portions of Africa is expensive! I've never asked for support before and, I'm going to be honest, it's hard for me to do so. But He continues to confirm in my heart that it is not up to me to decide who wants to participate in this journey with me. So, I'm asking and trusting that He will provide through His people. If you've been reading for any length of time, you know I do not post locations or specific organization names, so please contact me if you have any interest in helping me go to Malawi or if you just want more information.

2. Underwear! I know it seems strange, but my team and I are collecting new children's (elementary to high school aged) underwear. We will be visiting and working with many children's homes and orphans. This basic necessity is highly needed for these kids and my team is aiming to bring a bunch with us to give to the homes. So, if you're able, I will be collecting new (packaged) underwear from now until the day I leave and would greatly appreciate your donation!


that's all for now :-) Stay tuned...
  

No comments:

Post a Comment