Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Zimbabwe...what's going on?

When people hear that I'm going to Zimbabwe, I'm often asked things like: "Is it safe?", "Isn't there something going on there?", or "Is that the one that's going crazy?"

Well, I thought I'd do a very simple and to-the-point breakdown of what's been going on in Zimbabwe:


1. Political turmoil: A long and complicated history goes back on this one but, basically there have been problems with government for a while now. A leader in the country has not been held in favor by the people there, nor has he held the economy in anything near a stable state (to put is very lightly!). Recently, an election was thought to possibly change some things there, but that ended up falling through and, despite more efforts to remedy things, a lot remains the same.



2. Economic instability: Inflation, inflation, inflation!!! less than a year ago, inflation hit a new high of 231m per cent!! Again, the basics are: money is worth less and less these days which leads to...



3. Hunger: Money is worth less --> buys less food. Crops are still recovering: last year a flood destroyed crops which was then followed by an incredible drought that prevented crop production again! The country has gone back and forth in allowing aid to the many hungry people from banning food staple distribution all together to allowing all basic food staples to enter the country for free (customs costs can get extremely pricey)

People of Zimbabwe line up waiting for food distributions.

Workers distributing food staples




So, you may not be an expert from reading this, but at least there's the basic rundown. But to answer some of the FAQs I get:


Q: "Isn't there stuff going on there?"

A: Yes. There's "stuff" going on all over the world. But, as my experience has gone, we can't always consider ourselves "well-informed" from what we hear on the news over here. A bad past has lead them to a difficult present; a present that they are trying to work through to a brighter future.




Q: "Is it safe?"

A: hmmm...tough question.
Some define "safe" as keeping your routine, sticking with what you know, staying in your area of the world where you can predict and manage your risk. With that definition, I'd have to say "No".
But then again, another definition of "safe" may be that you've weighed your goals against your risks. You've counted what you have on your side (the words and advice of those who've been where you're going, the opinions of those who love you, the absolute, unaltered facts of the matter, and (most importantly) the command, assurance, and person of the master you follow) and looked at what's against you and chosen with an eternal mindset. That's how I define "safe", and, no, I don't exactly will happen, there's still a lot of unknown, but, at the same time; yes, this is most certainly a "safe" choice.



Q: "So, why are you going again?"

A: I am not going to Zimbabwe to be involved in anything political. I am not going out of pity for them or a sense of guilt of the life I have verses the life they have. I am going because this is the right place at this time in my life to serve. I am going to help meet a hurting people's physical needs (as the one I follow did) as well as help them with their spiritual ones. I am going to help those that serve Him full time overseas. And, I am going to serve in any way I can; serve the people that HE loves.

1 comment:

  1. Great post, Kari! It is helpful to hear something non "media," related about the country, because, you're right, media tends to make things sound way more dangerous than it really is!

    ReplyDelete